A public meeting was held at the Bucks County Biotech Center on November 5, 2018, to discuss proposed changes to the intersection of Swamp and Old Easton Roads resulting from the construction of a new Wawa on North Main Street, including a connector road linking North Main and Old Easton. At this meeting, residents and businesses expressed concerns with these changes related to access and safety, and as a consequence, Doylestown Borough and Doylestown, Buckingham, and Plumstead Townships asked PennDOT and the Bucks County Planning Commission to take a fresh look at the proposal.
As a result, the plans have been modified to allow for the temporary modification of the intersection followed by a ninety (90) day testing period to determine if there are any negative impacts. The proposed modifications are the same as those proposed on November 5 and are as follows:
- Through movements on Old Easton Road/Main Street would no longer be allowed.
- Northbound Old Easton Road/Main Street would be left and right turns only.
- Left turns from eastbound Swamp Road would no longer be allowed.
- A left turn lane only would be installed on westbound Swamp Road.
- Southbound Old Easton Road would be right turn only onto Swamp Road.
The existing traffic signal equipment would remain in place during the testing period, which would not take place until the connector road is completed, likely sometime in 2020.